Join with us in the Global Call for Action to Bring the Nigerian School Girls Home - updated 18/5
MIA adds our voice to the international call for the freedom of more than 200 secondary school girls in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped by Jihadist group Boko Haram.
We pray for the safety of these young women, for their anguished parents, families and communities and for all victims of the scourge of trafficking in human persons.
Messages to: Mary Reynolds rsm - Executive Director MIA
Abubakar Shekau, leader of the militant Islamist group Boko Haram, has claimed responsibility for the abductions and has threatened both to sell the girls into slavery, and to perform more attacks on schools. The group is strongly opposed to the education of girls.
Here are other actions you can take:
- Sign the Petition on Change.org and add your name and voice to the international outcry
- Stay informed
-'War on Boko Haram': African, Western nations unify in hunt for Nigerian girls(17/5) ##
- Nigerian schoolgirls' home town in despair after president cancels visit (17/5) ##
-Nigeria abductions: US First Lady Michelle Obama slams kidnappings (11/5)
- Nigerian schoolgirls: Experts from US, Britain arrive to help with search for Boko Haram hostages (10/5)
- Nigeria ramps up search for missing girls (10/5)
- Contextualising Boko Haram (21/4) ##
- Spread the News:
- "Like" Bring our Girls Back on Facebook
- Support Victims of Trafficking in Persons and stay informed about this issue
- Be informed about why Sisters of Mercy Support Girls Education
- Read There is a Girl out there who needs YOU by Deirdre Mullan rsm. Professor Joy Ogwu, Ambassador and Permanent Representative Federal Republic of Nigeria to the United Nations, told Deirdre Mullan rsm last week that her booklet: There is a Girl out there who needs YOU was never more needed! As girls worldwide continue to face violence, abduction and all forms of discrimination the Ambassador said 'We must do all we can to educate and rasie awareness to the plight of the Girl Child and to ensure that no child – girl or boy risks being attacked for simply seeking an education.'
This booklet is available by contacting Sr Deirdre at Deirdremullanun@aol.com but hurry as they are now moving very fast! Download the flyer
- See what other Mercy communities are doing
"Freedom Friday" for the Nigerian School Girls at Our Lady of Mercy Academy, Syosset, New York ##
#Bringbackourgirls at Lauralton Hall, Milford, Connecticut ##
## Added 18/5