Mater Private Hospital
As part of the Values Renewal Project the Mater Private Hospital Executive Team held one of their meetings in Mercy International Centre and included a tour of the Centre for the members of the group. The purpose of their visit was to touch into the roots of the hospital’s Mercy Ethos. This began in 1851 when Sr. Vincent Whitty, one of Catherine’s early companions, purchased land in Eccles Street and began the development of the Mater Hospital which opened in 1861.
On 30 March Fintan Fagan (Chief Operations Officer) returned with six staff members. They came to offer a donation in the name of the Mater Private and to have a plaque placed on the wall of the Sacred Garden. They also took time to have a tour of the Centre. It was with deep gratitude that Sr. Caitlín Conneely received the first donation to buy a plaque from an Irish Hospital. Her hope is that the Mater Private will continue to be nourished by the spirit of Catherine McAuley and that the connection with the Centre will deepen.
(Left to Right) Mary Burns (Our Ladys Ward), Tom Higgins (Physiotherapy), Ger Clerkin (Director of Nursing), Janet Middleton, (St. Teresas Ward), Sr. Caitlín Conneely, Director, Mercy International Centre, Rebecca Bartley (Catering), Fintan Fagan (Chief Operations Officer) and Ger O’Mahony (Catering) handing over the donation in the garden at the Mercy International Centre.