St. Clare's Mercy Hospital Celebrates 80th Anniversary
May 21, 2002 marked the 80th Anniversary of the founding of St. Clare's Mercy Hospital in St. John's, Newfoundland. In 1922, the Sisters of Mercy of Newfoundland opened a hospital in a small dwelling that could accommodate no more than 20 patients at a time. Over the years, St. Clare's expanded so that now it is a tertiary-care teaching hospital with a 220 bed capacity. In 1994, the Sisters of Mercy entered into an Agreement with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador whereby St. Clare's was sold to the Government with the understanding that the hospital could still operate within the mission, values, and philosophy of the Sisters of Mercy.
This anniversary year provides an opportunity to take time to reflect on the continuing mission of St. Clare's and to celebrate its ministry of caring for the sick and dying with competence and compassion.