UISG Campaign for the Planet, Laudato Si' and the Way Forward
Presentation of a Commitment on the Environment
On 7 May 2019, at UISG XX1, Sheila Kinsey FCJM, Executive Co-Secretary of JPIC Commission UISG / USG and Coordinator of UISG Campaign Sowing Hope for the Planet gave a presentation on the efforts of women religious in putting Laudato Sí 'into practice. The video of the presentation includes references to the Mercy International Reflection Process and the Sowing Seeds of Hope webinar.
The text of Sr Sheila's presentation can be downloaded:
Sr Sheila's presentation concluded with a Statement of Commitment and a Call to Action by all congregations and institutes.
'We commit ourselves to both personal and communal conversion and
We wish to move forward together in an orchestrated and coordinated response in
Listening to the cry of the Earth and the cry of the Poor
As we go forth as instruments of hope
In the heart of the world.
As Pope Francis reminds us, “All of us can cooperate as instruments of God for the care of creation, each according to his or her own culture, experience, involvements and talents.” (LS14)'
'As a result of our commitment, each General Superior is asked to discern appropriate action in one of the areas:
- Observing of the Season of Creation (September 1 to October 4)
- Engaging in the experience of the Synod “Amazonia: New Paths for the Church and for an Integral Ecology”
- Following prayerfully the events of the Synod
- Advocating for the rights of indigenous people
- Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day (April 22, 2020)
- Celebrating the 5th Anniversary of Laudato Si' (2020)
- Supporting youth involvement in the campaign
- Advocating for the commitment for countries to sustain targets to not exceed of 1.5 Celsius rise in global temperature
- Deciding to divest from fossil fuels and investments into alternative energy projects
- Choosing to observe international days
- Considering other suggestions'