We stood up against Poverty and for the Millennium Development Goals (MIJN)
Are you wondering who stood up and joined with you in this symbolic action?
Here is a sample of messages received:
- 15 sisters stood up or raised their hands and read the pledge in Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary. We would love to see world poverty eradicated!
- The total number of those who stood up against poverty from the Union in the UK, so far, is: 2,085
- 530 students and staff from Sancta Maria College Ballyroan Dublin participated in the stand up challenge in support of the eradication of extreme poverty.
- Our 3 sisters stood up in Benvoirlich, Cork, and 70 in the Welcome English Language Centre, Convent Place, Proby's Quay. Thanks for the opportunity to join in this event.
- In addition to the 4 of us in Blarney, Rose told us last night that she got the mayor of Bandon (Counsellor in Fellowship) to ask 60 people to stand up and also 10 of her own boys to do same.
- These are the photos from the Mercy Community and Staff in Cahir for ‘Stand Up Against Poverty’. We read the pledge for the eradication of extreme world poverty. Thank you for organising all this for us.
- Last Sunday evening we called a special meeting of our community in Booterstown in order to mark International Day of Poverty in the manner indicated by the MIJN. Nine of the ten members were present. (One sister had to be away) We all stood and read the anti poverty pledge. Unfortunately, we do not have a photograph of the action.
- 12 sisters in McAuley House Beaumont raised their hands for the eradication of Poverty.
- 8 people stood up in Kanturk community.
- I got a little band of merry men to STAND UP AGAINST POVERTY. About forty of us waved the banner in Waterford! I was there that day at the Céim Eile reunion. It's a wonderful place and I suppose all would have been homeless in their day - praise God!
- In our community at Westbourne, 15 sisters stood up. 371 staff and pupils stood up in Scoil Charmel and 22 joined in the event in Scoil Mhathair De.
- The 5 of us in Newport, Co. Tipperary participated.
- In Nenagh 2,500 Stood Up. This includes the Mercy Community, staff and pupils in both St. Mary’s primary and secondary schools, and the congregation at the 10.00am and 12 noon Masses.
- Scoil Mhuire, Carrick-on-Suir took part, as did the community in Springwell – 400 in all.
- We Stood Up and read the pledge in Mount Mercy school, Cork – 266 altogether.
- Galway schools were very active in the Stand Up against Poverty campaign, with 632 enthusiastic people Standing Up. These included:
- 156 Students in Mean Scoil Mhuire, Newtownsmith, Galway;
- 75 pupils and staff of Convent Girls’ School, Oughterard;
- 361 pupils and staff of St. Paul’s Secondary school, Oughterard;
- 40 pupils and teachers of Scoil na Trionoide, Mervue.
Sisters of Mercy in Sligo Stand Up
(l-r) Catherine O’Rourke, Margaret O’Beirne, Colette O’Rourke, Pat. McHugh, Bernadette Meehan, Sheila Costello, Patrick Kerins, Eymard Fallon, Marion O’Connor, Dodo Kenna and Aine McGarty
In Ard Scoil Mhuire in Dungarvan we all stood up in our classrooms at the same time and read the pledge.
- Our new community in South Africa organised a Stand Up event, where 215 stood and read the pledge.
- Some stood up in time to set the World Record, which had to be greater than 10,000 people within a 24-hour period. But look at what happened!
Official Guinness Verification:
The world record for the most people to 'Stand Up Against Poverty' in 24 hours was set on 15 - 16 October 2006 for the United Nation's Millennium Campaign and involved a massive total of 23,542,614 participants in 11,646 events around the globe.
Actually many, many more stood up later on 16th and on the 17th- which was International Day for the Eradication of Poverty - so the real number of concerned people is even greater. Well done!
Let’s keep calling on the 189 world leaders to honour their word. Six years ago, they solemnly agreed to end poverty and achieve the Millennium Development Goals by 2015. Together we can make a difference!
Sheila O'Gorman rsm Europe
YOU DID IT - A NEW WORLD RECORD!
91,987 Australians joined over 23 million people around the world to set the World Record for the most people to Stand Up against poverty. Events were held in 321 locations around Australia with a total of 11,646 events in 87 countries. A Guinness spokesperson called it the "largest single-coordinated movement of people in the history of the Guinness World Records."
Members of the Parramatta Congregation had 66 Sisters and who stood up and said the pledge with great gusto!. Thank you to our New Life participants who joined in and to our Sisters at Cronulla and all our other Sisters who supported this event.
CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU for all of your support, enthusiasm, and dedication to the eradication of poverty and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. Keep the momentum going!
Margaret Hinchey rsm Parramatta
Two of the Goulburn Sisters of Mercy had the opportunity to stand up for poverty outside Parliament House, Canberra, Australia. Members of Parliament, including the Leader of the Opposition, addressed the crowd. Each of them highlighted the need to achieve the Millennium Goals and promised to do what they could in this regard. Senator Rachel Siewert (Australian Greens) particularly reminded us that in Australia the Indigenous Aboriginal Australians are one of our most disadvantaged peoples in relation to poverty.
Shirley Garland rsm Goulburn
Pam Thompson and Mary-Ann Lennon from Cairns Mercies stood up and read the pledge to eradicate world poverty. We joined about 200 young Cairns people who gathered on our Esplanade last Sunday evening. The gathering was organised by young men and women from the "Oaktree Foundation". Mary-Ann Lennon rsm Cairns
Here in Perth Western Australia 85 Sisters and friends Stood Up for Poverty. At McAuley Aged Care Hostel and Mercy Village there were 70 and 15 in smaller groups around the City. There has been a positive response and we hope to continue being active.
Joan Smith rsm Perth
Editor:Did you stand up? Send your message and photo to email@example.com and we'll add you to this report.