Where Sisters of Mercy Minister: Wales (27)
The Sisters of Mercy first went to Wales in 1852 when a foundation was established in Pontypool, South Wales, by sisters coming from Liverpool, England. Today, Sisters of Mercy belonging to the Institute of Our Lady of Mercy and the Sisters of Mercy of the Union of Great Britain live and minister in the following civic communities of Wales: Anglesey, Bangor, Colwyn Bay, Fishguard, Llanelli, and St. David’s. They have been in Colwyn Bay since 1910 and Bangor since 1915.
The chapel at the Convent of Mercy Care Home in Colwyn Bay, North Wales, provides quiet reflective space as well as community prayer and liturgy for residents, staff, and visitors of the Mercy Care Home as well as the Sisters who live on the same property.
The Oldham Congregation opened a branch house in Colwyn Bay (North Wales) in 1910. At the time, the community intended to start a convalescent home, but they discovered that there was a greater need for education. As a result, the Sisters of Mercy began teaching and administering a preparatory school, which they continued until the late 1970s. In the late 1960s, the community in Colwyn Bay revisited the original intention of caring for the sick and elderly and found a greater need for this ministry. They opened the Convent of Mercy Nursing Home in May 1970, which is now called the Convent of Mercy Care Home. For more information on this ministry, visit: www.mercycare-colwynbay.org
St. Non’s Retreat Centre at St. David’s (Pembrokeshire, West Wales).
Of the 19 Sisters of Mercy who live and minister in Wales and belong to the Union of Great Britain, three minister at St. Non’s Retreat Centre in St. David’s in the western part of Wales (see www.stnonsretreat.org.uk. This is a place of spirituality and hospitality where pilgrims come to visit. The property includes the ruins of St. Non’s Chapel where St. Non gave birth to St. David around 500 C.E. It also has St. Non’s well, which is regarded as one of the most sacred wells in Wales. This retreat centre is owned by the Passionist community, but they have granted the Sisters of Mercy the license to occupy and manage the centre.
Additional ministries of the Sisters of Mercy in Wales include the ownership and operation of St. Teresa’s Care Home, a 27-bed residential care home in Fishguard, and parish ministry at a Carmelite parish in Llanelli. Various sisters are involved in ministry to the sick and dying and contributing to the life of their parish and civic communities.